Fitness Manager, Mt Albert Community and Leisure Centre
1. How long have you been working with the YMCA Mt Albert family?
I actually started out volunteering at the YMCA Tepid Baths in 2008 when I was in my second to last year at university. While I have bounced around a few different gyms since then, I have always come back to the Y.
2. What led you to working with the YMCA Mt Albert family?
Ever since I was a little kid, my family would visit the Y. My sisters and I played on YMCA Youth sports leagues growing up in the states, my family would stay at the YMCA campgrounds in Colorado and learn to swim at the YMCA pools. Here in NZ, I was drawn back to the community environment and the un-biased drive to help all members of the community.
3. How do you keep motivated?
I love helping people grow and develop. Whether it is through personal training, coaching or managing, I love seeing positive change in people.
4. What is your go-to in the gym?
My all-time favourite exercises are squats and pull-ups.
5. Why do you think health and fitness is important?
Our bodies are made to move. Prolonged lack of movement leads to all kinds of issues. I believe movement is medicine and that regular physical activity, good nutrition and a positive mind set is the key to happiness and success in life.
6. What is one thing we didn't know about you that will surprise us?
I play and coach lacrosse at an international level. I am the strength and conditioning coach or the NZ Women's Lacrosse team and will be trialling for my third Men's Lacrosse World Cup next year.
7. How would your friends and family describe you?
Kind, calm and knowledgeable.
8. What changes have you seen in yourself since joining the YMCA family?
I am always learning and growing. That's another thing I love about the YMCA. As a member, staff member or customer, you can always keep learning and growing with the help of the YMCA.
9. What would you like to say to potential members of the YMCA family?
Come say hi! I'm sure as soon as you do, you'll feel so welcome that you won't want to leave.
10. Why the Y?
The YMCA is a place for everyone. Here you can feel comfortable with change. The YMCA family is a support network and community that makes positive change achievable for all.