10 Things Diabetics want you know about - They could really make a difference.
At The YMCA Auckland City Diabetes Support Group in May we put together 10 things we want you to know about having Diabetes.
It's a personal
list. Have a look and maybe you can think of some more points to consider. They
are in no particular order.
1. There are great advancements in the management and treatment of diabetes.
2. There are great supports for those with diabetes and for those who care for someone with diabetes. There is also a lot of research and support that helps children with diabetes and their families.
3. The key is the balance between medication, nutrition and exercise.
4. Your GP and health professionals along with support from your pharmacy will be able to advise you on issues you might have with your diabetes.
5. Diabetes is not just about sugar. It's a lot more complicated than that.
6. It takes a while to work out how to manage your diabetes, but it will get better. It helps to talk to others about it.
7. Sometimes we need support and understanding from our families and friends. Ask "What can I do to help you". Listen.
8. If I am managing my diabetes well I can do anything physically I want to.
9. If you are a resident or citizen of NZ a lot of your pharmaceutical needs are funded.
10. Although there are similarities everyone's journey with diabetes is different.
We hope this is helpful in understanding a little more about what it is like to have Diabetes. This is our personal list and is not intended as medical advice. Always consult your medical professional.
The Auckland City YMCA Diabetes Support Group
The Support Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at 7pm in the Auckland City Fitness Community Meeting Room.
For further information about our group contact Gilly Voss, Targeted Health Specialist at YMCA Auckland City.
Phone: 09 3032069Email: email@example.com