Shakespear Lodge is recruiting now!
Join The Y's Shakespear Lodge for an amazing Aotearoa camp experience!
We are now in pursuit of passionate part time & casual outdoor instructors to join our enthusiastic team! Work with campers of all ages and cultural backgrounds and get to be a part of an energetic team culture in the outdoors.
Located in the stunning Shakespear Regional Park grounds, this is not your typical “office”, with spectacular views of the surrounding area, and local bird life right on your doorstep.
What will you be doing?
- Instructing outdoor educational programmes to groups usually age ranged 8-14, including setting up and packing down equipment.
- School Holiday Camp programmes - including activity instruction, free time, mealtimes, night programmes and sleepover support.
- Be responsible for Health and Safety of self and campers.
- Assist with camp tasks including cleaning, maintenance and catering.
What experience/skills do you need?
To be a successful Outdoor Instructor for The Y you need to love working with people of all ages, be able to energise others and share your love and passion of the outdoors.
Key attributes to be successful in this role:
- Confidence in talking to groups.
- Ability to give instructions and encourage participation.
- Ability to think on your feet, be creative and have strong communication skills.
- Quick learner with the ability to teach others.
- Physically active and able to be on your feet all day, often exposed to the outdoor elements (if you don’t like getting wet or muddy this isn’t for you!).
- Flexibility to work shifts including some weekends and overnights.
- Hardworking & reliable – with your own transport.
- Work as a part of the team, but also as an individual.
The following attributes are desirable but not required to have in an applicant, support with gaining qualifications can be provided :
- Relevant certificates, qualifications and technical skills, including; Outdoor First Aid, High Ropes, Skills Active Quals, NZOIA
- Experience working with children and/or camps i.e. can include job placements, work experience, volunteer work, etc.
- Knowledge of water safety and experience with water based activities, being a strong confident swimmer is an advantage.
What The Y offers:
- Free gym membership and discounts on YMCA services e.g., childcare, holiday programs, sports leagues, etc.
- Professional development, on the job qualifications, career advancement and safeguarding training
- Working in a community-focused environment
- On-site parking
About The Y:
As a not-for profit, everything we do each day has a positive impact, and we have fun doing it! We believe in the power of inspired and connected communities, where people feel safe and are motivated to reach their full potential. Our values of Caring, Respect, Honesty and Responsibility are at the core of our culture and the valued connections and friendships you’ll build here are lifelong. The Y employees and careers represent many lifestyles and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, with jobs and hours to suit everyone’s stage of life from 14-70+. Our varied services and activities offer a wide range of career pathways where your development will be supported to help you reach your career goals. Our STAR Awards, Outward Bound scholarship opportunities, and long service recognition reward your contribution. We have benefits to suit your lifestyle, with access to free counselling, free annual flu vaccinations, free gym membership for all employees, and discounts for our services such as early learning centres, before and after school care, camps, swim school and sports leagues.
The Y has camps at two incredible locations in the Auckland region. Located on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula and in the Hunua Ranges, our two Y Outdoor Camps provide outdoor education for groups and individuals from across New Zealand, as well as overseas. With over 30 years’ experience in the outdoor education and group accommodation industry – we have the knowledge and know-how to offer outstanding outdoor education experiences for people of all ages and abilities, from school camps and holiday programs to corporate team building and family groups.
All applicants must:
- Currently hold the right to work in New Zealand and currently be in New Zealand.
- Return a satisfactory Police Vet before commencement of employment. This is required to be renewed every two years.
The Y North is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people in our care, and it is our expectation that all staff will operate in a way that reflects this intent. Staff will be required to attend Safeguarding workshops, trainings and online modules to comply with The Y North Safeguarding Policy.