We are seeking a talented HR Business Partner, with strong ER experience, to join our small team who work hard, but have fun in the process! You will confidently provide professional and customer-centred HR service, advice and assistance across the full employee life cycle and end-to-end employment relations processes to managers within the business. This role also acts as YMCA North’s Privacy Officer and is responsible for ensuring compliance with NZ privacy laws and regulations.
This is a broad generalist role with plenty of variety. Day to day your work will include supporting a wide range of managers through end to end ER issues, providing high-quality, effective and practical coaching, guidance and advice to managers on all people-related matters. You will also be involved in developing and implementing HR processes and procedures to support continuous improvement, policy writing and revision, owning and delivering projects and other initiatives as time allows.
You bring solid experience with ER case management, confidently taking the lead on sometimes complex employee relations cases - running investigations, disciplinaries and PIPs from end to end (along with managing personal grievances, should there be any). Your experience in senior HR Advisory or Business Partnering, ideally gained while working across multi-site, complex organisations, will see you hit the ground running in this role. You love working at pace and can adapt your style to suite a wide range of stakeholders. Your strong communication and relationship building skills, will set you up for success, as will your strong customer focus and your high attention to detail ensuring accurate and concise documentation of all HR processes.
Based in central Auckland, you will regularly spend time out on sites within your portfolio (including Waikato and BOP), building strong relationships and on site connectivity while gaining a strong understanding of our particular challenges and opportunities, partnering with the business to provide fit for purpose solutions.
A bit more about you – you will:
- Have HR tertiary qualifications or significant senior Human Resources Advisor / HR Business Partner experience
- Have a minimum 5+ years’ experience in a senior HR Advisory / HR Business Partner Generalist position
- Have excellent working knowledge of NZ employment legislation and its practical application
- Have a high degree of computer literacy, including intermediate to advanced working knowledge of Microsoft based programmes, along with ability to easily learn other software packages
- Have strong ability to coach and train, to enhance capability of managers and ideally have facilitated training for one-to-one and group sessions (particularly regarding HR topics)
- Ideally have knowledge of New Zealand privacy laws, regulations, and industry best practices, including the New Zealand Privacy Act (along with experience in developing and implementing privacy policies, procedures, and practices) and/or be a quick study to pick this piece up
- Have a positive and upbeat, can-do, flexible attitude and be full of integrity
- Have exceptional ER experience, independently managing complex matters from end to end
- Be a natural coach, you enjoy developing managers’ expertise with best HR practice
- Have the ability to work independently, in a fast paced environment, multi-tasking to deliver against competing priorities with ease
- Naturally be able to build credibility with varied leaders and managers across the business
- Have the ability to work as a dynamic individual who is ready to get stuck into all facets of HR challenges presented
- Not be precious about pitching in to help others in team
What The Y offers
- Free gym membership and discounts on YMCA services e.g. childcare, holiday programmes, sports leagues etc.
- Great staff benefits and safeguarding training
- Working in a community-focused environment
About YMCA North
As a not-for profit, everything we do each day has a positive impact, and we have fun doing it! We believe in the power of inspired and connected communities, where people feel safe and are motivated to reach their full potential. Our values of Caring, Respect, Honesty and Responsibility are at the core of our culture and the valued connections and friendships you’ll build here are lifelong. The Y employees and careers represent many lifestyles and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, with jobs and hours to suit everyone’s stage of life from 14-70+. Our varied services and activities offer a wide range of career pathways where your development will be supported to help you reach your career goals. Our STAR Awards, Outward Bound scholarship opportunities, and long service recognition reward your contribution. We have benefits to suit your lifestyle, with access to free counselling, free annual flu vaccinations, free gym membership for all employees, and discounts for our services such as early learning centres, before and after school care, camps, swim school and sports leagues.
If this sounds like you, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
All applicants must:
- Currently hold the right to work in New Zealand and currently be in New Zealand.
- Return a satisfactory Police Vet before commencement of employment.
YMCA North is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people in our care and it is our expectation that all staff will operate in a way that reflects this intent. Staff will be required to attend Safeguarding workshops, trainings and online modules to comply with The Y North Safeguarding Policy.